Author Interview: Kim Chance

Coming to you live from the Philadelphia International Airport!

Well, not exactly live, because it's a written interview. But I'm posting it from the airport, and I've always wanted to say something like that.  

This is how much I love you, dear Writing Desk Readers! I'm en route home from my work travels this week, and I thought I'd take my layover time to get this puppy up and running. I actually love airports. I know they can be hectic, stressful places at times, but I really enjoy sitting and people-watching.

Maybe next week we can do a post about developing potential characters while people-watching in airports!

But for now, it is my pleasure to present my interview with debut YA author Kim Chance!



Photo Provided By: Kim Chance

  
The Writing Desk: Hi Kim! Thank you so much for agreeing to this blog interview with me, and congratulations on your upcoming debut novel, “Keeper”! Have you done many interviews as you prepare for the book’s release?

Kim Chance: Hi Courtney! Thank you so much for having me! I can’t believe KEEPER’s debut is just right around the corner. According to the countdown on my phone we’ve got just a little over three months to go! That’s both exciting and terrifying! I have done a handful of interviews, but there are a bunch more in the works before the release. I’m working closely with the publicity and marketing team at my publisher, and we’ve got a bunch of stuff planned for the release. So stay tuned! 

***

TWD: For those who aren’t already familiar with your book, if you could describe “Keeper” in one sentence what would it be?

KC: Ooh! I love this question! I’d definitely have to say “Magic always leaves a mark.” It’s the tagline of the book and describes it perfectly.I can’t really say why—no one likes a spoiler—but trust me. I know that’s not very specific in terms of plot, but I’ve never been great at elevator pitches…I should probably work on that!

***

TWD: “Keeper” is a YA fantasy novel. Are there other genres you enjoy writing or is this where your heart lies?

KC: My current work in progress is a sci-fi thriller. I have other ideas for contemporary books, and I’m dying to write a western one day—I actually already have the outline and synopsis for one, just waiting for the right time! I have pretty broad tastes as a reader, and that definitely transcends into my writing as well. I don’t want to limit myself or put myself in a box when it comes to genre. I’d even love to write a historical someday! My heart lies with compelling story-telling regardless of genre.

***

TWD: You’ve also recently celebrated the second anniversary of your YouTube writing channel. Congrats again! Did you always plan to interact with and provide advice to other writers in this way, or was starting the channel a more spontaneous decision?

KC: Thank you so much! It’s so hard to believe it’s already been two years! Starting a channel wasn’t spontaneous; it was something I thought about for a long time before I finally decided to do it. When I first started thinking about creating a channel, I had two objectives in mind: I wanted to chronicle my experience with publishing and share everything I learned along the way with fellow writers. There were so many times that I felt alone in my journey, and I wanted an avenue where I could help other writers like me not feel so alone. Plus, it’s probably the teacher in me, but I really wanted to talk about the craft of writing fiction. Writing a book is so much more than just having a good idea. I wanted to create a community that discussed those things and shared advice. YouTube was the perfect place! I have a heart for the writing community and I want every writer to succeed. I try to give back to community as much as I can.

***

TWD: As a soon-to-be traditionally published author, what in your experience with the publication process was the most time consuming (Besides the writing, of course!) and/or required you to step out of your comfort zone? (i.e. – The query process, working with an agent for the first time, cover design, etc.)   

KC: Hmmmm….what part of the process was time-consuming and required me to step out of my comfort zone? All of it. LOL! Can I say that? It’s totally true. Traditional publishing is certainly not for the faint of heart and you have to be willing to throw yourself so far out of your comfort zone, you’re practically in another state! So far the toughest thing for me has been when we started sending out ARCs to readers. I’ve talked about this a little bit on my social media channels, but I really wasn’t prepared for what happens when real readers start reading your book. Not everyone is going to love what you’ve written, and trust me, they’ll be quite vocal when they don’t. That kind of rejection is so tough, and I struggled with it at first. I’m still working on developing my thick author skin, but I’ve definitely learned a few tricks. Other than that, my experience with my agent and with my publisher has been amazing. I’m incredibly lucky.

***

TWD: Is there anything you’d go back and tell yourself about the publishing process now that you’ve been through it for the first time?

KC: Honestly? No. I’m a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, exactly as it’s supposed to happen. I had to fight to get to where I am today, and I don’t regret that at all. It took a lot of blood, sweat, tears, rejections, and failures to get me to this point in my life, and I am so incredibly grateful. I’ve learned so much in the last few years and I’m glad I had the opportunity to struggle through it all. If I knew then what I know now, I don’t think I’d be the writer I am today. Does that make sense? I guess ole Miley was right in the end—it’s not about what’s waiting on the other side. It’s the climb. (And yes, I just quoted cheesy Miley Cyrus lyrics to make my point. #achievementunlocked)

***

TWD: These next questions are ones I like to ask in each Writing Desk Blog interview, it’s so interesting to see the range of responses I get!
Where do you typically work from? (Home, office, coffee shop, etc.) Is there anywhere you find you're more productive than other places?

KC: I work from home! I have an office in the basement of my house, and if I really need to be productive and get stuff done, that’s where it happens. I also like to write at my kitchen table or on the couch—anywhere that’s near windows. I find natural lighting to be a great conductor of creativity!

***

TWD: If you are able to tell us, what’s next after “Keeper” is released? Will we be seeing a continuation in this world, or do you have something else in the works? 

KC: I do have a sequel planned for KEEPER, and I sincerely hope I get a chance to revisit the world and my characters. It all depends, however, on how KEEPER does and if my publisher is interested in pursuing the sequel. I’m crossing my fingers!

I’m also working on a thriller, like I mentioned earlier. It’s set in the 1920s and it’s a mash-up of The Great Gatsby, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and a dash of Masque of the Red Death. It’s a dual POV and I am having such a blast writing it! 

***

TWD: Best piece(s) of writing advice?

KC: Don’t compare yourself to other writers. Everyone’s journey is different and you can’t see someone else’s success as a measure of your failure. That’s not how it works! Stay focused and keep writing!

***

TWD: Something about you that people may be surprised to know?

KC: Oooh, this is a good question! I’m trying to think of something that hasn’t been mentioned on my YouTube channel before….Okay, I’ve got it!

I suffer from chronic stomach pain and nausea. I have for years now and the doctors really don’t know why. I spend the majority of the day sick to my stomach. I have to take prescription anti-nausea meds, and those help a lot. I’m still hopeful that one day a doctor will finally figure out what’s going on. Until then, I live on ginger-ale and bland foods!

Was that what you were going for? LOL! That was kind of a downer. Let me think of something happy!

How about this: Halloween is my favorite holiday, my new obsession is foxes, and I have to have white noise when I sleep—if it’s too quiet it keep me awake! (I’m weird.)

*****

A big thank you again to Kim for taking the time out of her busy pre-publication schedule to talk with me!

Plus, who else would love to see a Western novel from her? *raises hand* Come on, who's with me?

You can find a full bio on Kim, as well as links to her website and social media pages on this Wednesday's "What Am I Reading" post. 

Have a great weekend! 

Comments

Popular Posts