When Inspiration Strikes...

Greetings friends!

Anyone who indulges their creative side -- whether through writing, acting, painting, using power tools to shape scrap into sculpture, or whatever your passion may be -- knows that inspiration can come from the most unlikely places. How many of us have been performing some mundane activity, when suddenly it hits:

BAM! The inspiration fairy whacks you over the head with her wand o' spectacular ideas!


Oooh! Aaah!

Or something along those lines, anyway.

My point being, sometimes it's easy to get so caught up in the planning, and the outlining, and the deadlines, that when a true spark of creative motivation comes along it can really take you by surprise.

Recently, I took a mini-trip with my mom. We stayed in a house with this beautiful mountain view, of course this also meant venturing down a winding road for food and other necessities. While making one of these trips, I happened to glance down a side road and saw this:


There it is!

It may not seem like much, but I was so shocked by how much this seemingly random building got my creative juices flowing that I had to turn the car around and go back to snap a quick picture.

As I've said before, I've discovered that I am definitely an outliner when it comes to my personal writing. My current WIP is a three-part novella series, (the first of which is still entered in a competition!), but I'm also outlining a full-length novel series. Taking the time to get these outlines ready is what helps me stay focused on whichever WIP I'm currently writing.

A key component in the first novel of this series (the only one I'm giving away for the sake of explaining the above picture) is the presence of an older building that has been re-purposed for...let's just say for more nefarious uses than what it was originally built for. I've been trying for weeks to at least paint a fuzzy mental picture of what this building should look like, and was coming up with, well, frankly with jack shit.

I told myself to move on with the rest of the outline and try to let the idea for this place come organically.

Pretty sure it's safe to say it worked!

So, go forth fellow creative types! Don't feel frustrated if you can't quite grasp the idea you've been looking for, and let the inspiration find you!

Comments

Popular Posts