Speaking of "American Gods"...

Now is the time when I gush ridiculously about how EXCITED I am about the "American Gods" TV series coming to Starz in 2017!!!


"American Gods" poster!
(Photo credit: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1898069/)


In case you missed it, I mentioned the other day about how I decipher which book is currently my favorite: The one I've re-read the most. Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" has held this spot for a while now, and I'd (reluctantly) almost given up hope of ever seeing this epic story on any kind of screen.

But the Gods have answered my prayers! (You see what I did there?) Shooting for the show began in April 2016, and is scheduled to premier in early 2017. (If anyone knows the exact date, please tell me!)

Another reason you should all be as ecstatic as I am? The showrunners are Bryan Fuller (Pushing Daisies, Hannibal...Come on, you know who he is!) and Michael Green (You'll have seen his work on Smallville and Heroes!) So, already I have a great feeling that the endless potential of this series is going to be realized.


From Left: Neil Gaiman, Bryan Fuller, David Slade, Michael Green, & Ricky Whittle
(Photo credit: http://screenrant.com/american-gods-neil-gaiman-footage/)


After the show confirmation, and the Bryan Fuller/Michael Green announcement, it's hard to think I could possibly be spazzing out any harder than I already am, right? Right??

And then the cast announcements started arriving.

While some of the cast members are new names to me, I'm pleased with what I see so far. Not to mention there are some pretty exciting choices for a few of the characters, who may only make a handful of appearances, but have a huge impact on the story itself.

If you haven't read the novel yet, (What have you been waiting for?) most, if not all, of the character names will be unfamiliar to you. I highly recommend that you read it before the show comes out next year. That's plenty of time. Hop to it!

The most up-to-date cast list I could find is as follows:

Ricky Whittle as Shadow Moon (A new name for me, still exciting though!)

Ian McShane as Mr. Wednesday (Definitely not a bad choice.)

Emily Browning as Laura Moon (I keep picturing her from when she did the film adaption of "A Series of Unfortunate Events".)

Yetide Badaki as Bilquis (Badaki's character is a perfect example of why this show wouldn't have been done justice by a cable network.)

Bruce Langley as Technical Boy (Another new one for me.)

Jonathan Tucker as Low Key Lyesmith (Not at all how I pictured this character, but I'm interested to see how they make him up for the show)

Pablo Schreiber as Mad Sweeney (He's made several appearances in television-land. I want so badly to make a statement about his character, but don't want to give anything away!)

Crispin Glover as Mr. World (I just realized he was the creepy "Thin Man" in the Charlie's Angels remake, ha!)

Cloris Leachman as Zorya Vechernyaya (Cloris! Be still, my heart! Can't wait to see her as one of the Zoryas!)

Peter Stormare as Czernobog (Another long list of credits! But how will he be at checkers?)

Chris Obi as Mr. Jacquel (One of my favorite characters from the novel!)

Mousa Kraish as the Jinn (I pictured this character as much older, but then again, that's the beauty of interpretation.)

For the sake of brevity and, as always, keeping this a spoiler-free zone, I won't be going into a detailed description of the novel's plot right now. You can find the "back-cover summary" and other information on Neil Gaiman's website (HERE).

As more updates on the show's progress are released, I'll be sure to post them here as well!


Kindle version of the "American Gods" cover.
(Photo credit: Amazon.com)

Comments

Popular Posts