A Halloween Interview with Horror Writer Nicole Sixx

Happy Halloween!

Halloween is one of my favorite days of year, and who better to feature in a Halloween interview than horror author Nicole Sixx?

Some of you might remember my first interview with Nicole last summer. We talked about the first volume in her short story series, Some Fucked Up Shit, which was also featured on What Am I Reading Wednesday

Today, we're diving into the continuation of her series, the announcement of an incredible new project, and how Nicole's connections to other artists supported her through a difficult time.

Photo provided by: Nicole Sixx

 *****

The Writing Desk: Hi Nicole, I'm so glad you could join me again on the blog! I know you're currently working on the third installment in your short story horror collection, Some Fucked Up Shit: WITCHES. Do you have a publication date?

Nicole Sixx: Glad to speak with you again, for sure. I'm hoping it will be out next year by Christmas, we'll see though. I write these stories under very specific circumstances of motivation so it can't be rushed. 

***

TWD: If you could describe Some Fucked Up Shit: WITCHES in one sentence, what would it be?

NS: Autobiographical? Haha, not really, but like all my work inspired by true events and I have seen some fucked up shit. Especially recently when I had an experience that actually drove me nuts when combined with some powerful hallucinogens. Long story. 

***

TWD: Besides the theme, how was writing this collection different for you compared to Vol. I (Some Fucked Up Shit) and Vol. II (Some Fucked Up Shit: GHOSTS)?

NS: It's going to have more action. Ghosts was more stalking and creeping, [in] Witches the main characters can fight back, and that's always more interesting in a way.

***

TWD: Are you staying with the self-publishing route as you continue the Some Fucked Up Shit series, or are you working with a traditional publisher? What factors influenced this decision?

NS: Traditional publishing will at this time include censorship and I don't want that. Also, I make more money this way, even if it requires more work.

***

TWD: You've also started your own magazine, Umbrella Project. Fantastic! What is the focus or mission of this magazine going to be?

NS: Artist supporting artists. I was recently hospitalized over some suicidal texts I sent this summer when dealing with a really terrible experience I'm still healing from. Suicide and drug use is the main cause of death in artists and I want to help take the loneliness and pressure off in a healthier manner. What happened to me was fucked up, but I was lucky to have had great friends who support me through all of it, I want that for all artists so the magazine is funded by artists for artists and will be in galleries all over the state. 

***

TWD: Will this be an online publication, or will you have a number of print copies available as well?

NS: This is actually designed to be just a print magazine. I feel online marketing us really taking a dive with all these corporate agendas. It's very hard to get exposure that way now days.

***

TWD: Will this be a monthly publication? Quarterly?

NS: Monthly. It's actually been very easy to put together since I am friends with so many artists. 

***

TWD: Will other writers be able to submit content/pitches to Umbrella Project, and if so, what types of submissions will you be looking for?

NS: Local artists and writers will for sure. I curate all the content personally and am very excited about the first issue.

*****

Keep Up with Nicole:

- Official Amazon Page
- Some Fucked Up Shit  
- Official Twitter Page 
- Official Instagram Page  

Comments

Popular Posts