Author Interview: Nicole Sixx

It's time for the first Writing Desk Author Interview!

So, without further delay, here is my interview with this week's What Am I Reading Wednesday author, Nicole Sixx:

(Photo Credit: Seth Neuffer @snooof)

The Writing Desk: Hi Nicole! Thank you for agreeing to this blog interview with me, have you ever done this type of interview before?

Nicole Sixx: Hi! So glad to take the time. Yes, I love doing email interviews because as a writer I get to express myself candidly in a well composed fashion.

**

TWD: Do you dabble in any other genre(s), or is horror where your heart lies?

NS: Horror is 100% where my heart lies. I have had many offers over the past decade to write other genres but I stuck to my knives so to speak. I feel there is a finality and complete humanity offered in horror you can't find in any other genre. Any survivors of a horror story are drastically evolved by the end, and to me that is the whole purpose of human existence. To grow, adapt, and learn to be better, stronger humans.

**

TWD: Where do you typically write from? (Home, office, coffee shop, etc.) Is there anywhere you find you're more productive than other places?

NS: I love to write at bars. I also have a study, and sometimes sit in my garden. Half of writing is just staring off into your mind and so the proper atmosphere is very important for that.

**

TWD: The title pretty much says it all, but if you had to describe your collection of short stories, “Some Fucked Up Shit”, in one sentence, what would it be?

NS: Hahaha, well... it's some fucked up shit. Basically I was editing it on my laptop and thought, damn, I write some really fucked up shit, and so that became my title.

**

TWD: Briefly, what led up to this book? Was this something you always had in mind, or did it catch you by surprise?

NS: I had been putting out stories in various magazines and really just wanted to collect something personal for my readers. Now it's the first in a series and I am very happy with that.

**

TWD: Can you tell us what you're working on now? If so, is it a second short story collection, or something new?


NS: I am working on a short story for Some Fucked Up Shit: GHOSTS called DOMINION. It deals with the destructive patterns of being more obsessed with status than actual success, or in it's most base form basic self preservation.

**

TWD: As a self-published author, what made you decide to go this route? Was there one particular aspect of the traditional publishing process that influenced your choice, or a combination?  (i.e. - Creative freedom, contracts, etc.)

NS: I already had the notoriety, and wanted the creative control. Some Fucked Up Shit definitely would have been written off or forced into censorship. I however knew there was a market for it, and was brave enough to go for it irregardless.

**

TWD: What were your 1-2 biggest learning experience(s) or surprise(s) throughout the self-publishing process?

NS: How easy it was. Since people already knew me no one dismissed it. They were all just happy to be able to get it so easily. The distribution process was so simple and the reader response tremendous. It felt like an automatic success and that made me very enthusiastic to continue producing more fucked up shit. Hahaha!

**

TWD: Best piece(s) of writing advice?

NS: Finish it. There are three steps to writing, the first is just finish it. Then you get it out there. Then you promote it. It doesn't stop when you get it published, it stops when you find your readers. They are out there, get it done, get it out there, and go find them.

**

TWD: Something personal about you that your readers may be surprised to know?

NS: I value brains over anything else. Looks. Physical strength. Wealth. All can be bought or manipulated. Actual intelligence is what truly separates us from the animals.

**

I hope you enjoyed our first Writing Desk Author Interview! Did you enjoy the Q&A format? What other questions would you like to see asked of our featured authors in the future? I'd love your feedback, dear readers!

Comments

Popular Posts