2017 TBR Update: Biography Edition

Greetings Readers!

Those of you who have connected with me on Instagram or Twitter might have already guessed, but today's post is all about biographies!

Like many bibliophiles, I go through different phases on what type/genre of book I most want to read, and every year without fail, I find myself craving a good biography or autobiography. So, what better way to kick off my current obsession than to update the TBR the first five biographies on deck?



"Official & Confidential: The Secret Life of J. Edgar Hoover", by Anthony Summers
(I actually picked this hefty beauty up at a library sale a few years ago. It has waited patiently on my office bookshelf all this time, and I started reading it this morning!) 



















"Goddess: The Secret Lives of Marilyn Monroe", 
by Anthony Summers
(I've learned after a little research this afternoon that Anthony Summers has written several biographies, and I have a feeling this one on Marilyn Monroe is going to be very good!)


















"Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis: The Untold Story", by Barbara Leaming
(Many of you will remember Leaming's first biography on Jackie Kennedy as First Lady was featured not long ago on What Am I Reading Wednesday. Her writing is exceptional, and I can't wait to read more of her work!)


















"Jack Kennedy: The Making of a President", by Barbara Leaming
(I'm seeing a pattern here...but I just can't help myself. The Camelot Era was a fascinating time in American history, I can't seem to learn enough about it.) 



















"Once Upon A Secret: My Affair with President John F. Kennedy and Its Aftermath", by Mimi Alford
(In a way, all of these books are related. Hoover was still in office during the Kennedy presidency, and from what I've read in other articles/novels he wasn't JFK's biggest fan. We have solid evidence now of how unfaithful Jack was to Jackie during their marriage (*cough* Marilyn Monroe *cough*), and yet they had an incredible, if at times understandable, bond. I'm very interested to learn the point of view of one of JFK's possible mistresses during this time.)   














Total number of TBR books for 2017: 45! 
Number I've read so far: 12

Has anyone also read any of these biography authors? If so, what did you think of their writing style? The level of thoroughness they put into researching their subjects? That's the one thing that can ruin a biography for me, did the author do their due diligence before chronicling the life of another person? 

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some reading to do!

Comments

Popular Posts