What Am I Reading Wednesday (1/4/2017)

It's time for the first What Am I Reading post of the new year!

For those who saw the Sneak Peek from my last post, did you guess which book we'll be talking about today? Did you? Did you?

If you did, great job!

Title: Killing Lincoln

Authors: Bill O'Reilly & Martin Dugard

First Reading: Yes!

Initial Impression: Wow, I actually remember some of this from my high school history class. Go me!




Like many readers, I go through phases where I'll stick to the same genre(s) for a long period of time before switching to something else. Having said that, it's been a quite a while since I've read a good nonfiction/historical book, and 'Killing Lincoln' has been on my TBR list for a couple of years now.

It takes so long to work through the TBR list! I'm sure you all know the feeling.

Even though I already know the facts of Abraham Lincoln's death, it's another thing entirely to read it as a "story" versus how the information was presented in a history class. I'm about a third of the way through the book now, and am really enjoying the educational information sprinkled throughout. It's definitely not the information-dump I've seen in some historic novels.

I've chosen to not do an author profile on this one, I think most have heard of Bill O'Reilly in one capacity or another. The purpose of this post is to evaluate his work as a writer, and so far he's done an excellent job collaborating with author Martin Dugard to bring one of the most significant events of U.S. history into an intriguing narrative.  

If anyone is interested in learning more about co-author Martin Dugard, his bio and other published novels can be found on his website. Some of Dugard's works include two additional historic narratives co-written with O'Reilly, 'Killing Kennedy' and 'Killing Jesus', as well as 'Murdering King Tut' with James Patterson.

While researching for this post, I realized 'Killing Lincoln' was also made into a film by the National Geographic Channel in 2013, and it was narrated by Tom Hanks! How did I miss that?

Looks like I know what I'll be watching as soon as I finish the book!




**Disclaimer: The "What Am I Reading Wednesday" posts are my personal opinion and not to be taken as "professional" literary reviews. I just love to share books I've enjoyed!**

Comments

Popular Posts