A Few Quick Updates

What's that saying about the best laid plans?


Happy Friday, Writing Desk Readers!

I wasn't expecting one of my first quarter goals to go so spectacularly off-track in the second month of the year, but here we are. As many of my returning readers might know, I don't typically post personal life stuff on here because that's not what this platform is about. But, this latest development is going to affect how quickly things get updated here on the blog for the next few months, so I thought I'd share a little bit with you.

I've had trouble with my hands for years. When it started right after college, I was told by a few doctors that it was carpal tunnel and/or repetitive motion stress from the job I had at the time. I made several ergonomic changes and tried to take better care of my hands, but when I asked about treatment or possible surgery, I was told repeatedly that I was "too young". I should have pushed it more, but there were other things happening around the same time that took priority and my hand problems went on the back burner.

At the start of February, I decided it was time to really figure out what was wrong. Thankfully my day job provides good insurance and I felt financially confident in requesting all of the tests I thought I might need. (I won't get into a long discussion about health care in the US right now. I'm well aware this is a luxury not everyone has and frankly it's a disgrace that we have people who can't make the same decisions to seek treatment when they know something is wrong.) After a few weeks of testing and doctor's appointments, I finally have an answer. It turns out, I have early onset Rheumatoid Arthritis.

If you don't already know, RA is an autoimmune condition that primarily affects the joints. It actually runs on one side of my family, so this diagnosis wasn't a total surprise. I just wasn't expecting to have to deal with it until I was much older. I've seen what this disorder did to my grandmother, before they had the medication options we have now, so I want to nip this thing in the bud. I've started on a new medicine, and I'm optimistic, but the initial side effects haven't been fun. Mostly nausea and having to cut certain foods from my diet, but I've never been more thankful that my day job allows me to work from home.

Anyway, that's where I'm at. As my body gets used to the medicine, my symptoms should improve and the nausea should (hopefully) pass. I'll still be updating the blog each month, I just might not be able to do as many posts as I originally planned in January. I'm going to have to update my writing schedule as well, since I also use a computer during the day for my job.

If any of you out there have had experience with similar autoimmune conditions, were there any changes you made that helped in addition to medication? I've already added a daily dose of fish oil and I'm taking more frequent breaks from typing to stretch my hands/arms.

Have a great weekend everyone, I'll be back next week with a new What Am I Reading Wednesday post!

Comments

Popular Posts