Writing Resources: Research

It's been a while since we've had a Writing Resources post, so let's talk about RESEARCH.

The hefty stack.
  
Last week, I shared a picture of the rather hefty stack of research books I'd checked out from my local library. While it didn't spark a huge conversation online, I did end up having some interesting discussions about research methods with fellow authors outside of the 'Gram.

As useful as the internet can be, especially when you have a sudden brain-freeze and can't remember an easily accessible piece of information, there's always the danger of being lured down a completely different path and losing that precious writing momentum. With that in mind, I make it a point to utilize non-electronic research methods, like my local library. It's even better when you can talk with experts on whatever subject you're studying. (For example, while writing a particular scene for Apparition, I made a few calls to a relative of mine who hunts deer.) 

As I'm plotting this next novel, I've also planned a day trip to a Civil War-era site and a Civil Rights Museum. Both locations have staff on hand who will have the knowledge and experience to answer most, if not all of, my questions. 

Some of you might be wondering what the Civil War has to do with this sequel. After all, Apparition is a speculative fiction story, so the next book will clearly be one as well. I can't tell you right now, but I will say that several key aspects of this book will be tied back to this particular era in US History.

What are your favorite research methods when plotting a story, novel, or even an article? 

Comments

  1. Fantastic site you have here but I was curious if you
    knew of any forums that cover the same topics discussed here?
    I'd really love to be a part of online community where I can get responses
    from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest.
    If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
    Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, very much!

      There aren't any particular forums that know of, at the moment. I do know that Query Tracker has a comments section where writers can compare querying experiences with different agencies.

      I've had a very good experience connecting with the online writing community through Instagram! The monthly/seasonal post challenges/topic lists are great places to have discussions.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts