Author Interview: S. Daniels

Happy Friday, Writing Desk Readers!

It's time for the latest Writing Desk Blog Author Interview! Today I'm joined by Seraphina Rising author S. Daniels. In case you missed Wednesday's (10/09/19) Get to Know the Author post, you can find Daniels' bio and links to her online platforms there.

Photo provided by: S. Daniels

*****

Writing Desk Blog: Welcome S. Daniels to the Writing Desk Blog! Thank you for joining me today.
Your latest novel, Seraphina Rising, was just released on 15 September 2019. If you had to pick three words to best describe Seraphina Rising, what would they be?  

S. Daniels: National best seller…LOL  Enthralling. Creepy. Magical.

***

WDB: Seraphina Rising is not your typical mermaid tale. It’s filled with warriors and tensions between the people above and below the water’s surface. Was there something in particular that inspired this story? 

SD: I saw a commercial  on TV with water splashing on a rocky coastline, and it sparked the idea.  It didn’t feel tranquil but aggressive and harsh with the water crashing into the rocks breaking them into jagged pieces.  I thought of warrior mermaids.  My imagination took over from there.

***

WDB: The cover for this book is exquisite! Can you tell us, did a specific artist create it for you, or did you go through a design company?

SD: I used my sketch of Seraphina the main character for inspiration.  I sent it to Dane at eBook Launch along with details and specifics of what I wanted it to look and feel like.  He and his team created it for me and I think it's amazing.  I was impressed with how they captured the Auraya, a design that’s etched into the skin around their eye that glows revealing  their mood.

***

WDB: Has you experience primarily been with traditional or indie/self-publishing? What made you choose your preferred avenue? 

SD: Indie.  I like the idea of being in control of the process and all of the design elements.  I like to be in control of my creation from start to finish.

***

WDB: Are you a plotter or pantser? Do you have a specific planning style you use when writing, or do you prefer to let things flow more naturally?

SD: Most definitely a pantser.  I like to see where my book takes me.  For instance I knew Seraphina would stop the consumption of man flesh but I didn’t know she would rise to power.

***

WDB: These next questions are ones I like to ask in each Writing Desk Blog interview, it’s so interesting to see the range of responses I get!

What is your favorite method for connecting with readers and other writers? Social media, conferences, meet-ups, or a combination? 

SD:  Social Media.  I can engage with fellow writers as well as readers in real time.  The indie author community on Instagram, twitter and Facebook are supportive and helpful.  I've made wonderful friends and acquaintances.

***

WDB: Where do you typically work from? (Home, office, coffee shop, etc.) Is there any place you find you're more productive than others? 

SD: While writing Seraphina Rising I was extremely productive working at 5am at home.  I would also spend time at Starbucks and Barnes and Noble but recently I have switched it up to the local art museum.  Being a lover of art I find it soothing and inspirational; time itself seems to be an illusion there.

***

WDB: If you are able to tell us, what’s next for you? Will we be seeing another book set in Seraphina’s world, or something different?

SD: I am not sure about Seraphina’s world yet.  I definitely left it open for the possibility of a sequel.  No story truly has an end.  Right now I am re-writing my first trilogy Magic Hour.

***

WDB: Best piece(s) of writing advice? 

SD: Write. Write. Write.  Put your story on paper.  You can sort it out later.  Do not hold back.  Write like only you will read it.

***

WDB: Something about you that people may be surprised to know? 

SD: I had the opportunity to be a Runway model in Europe.

*****

S. Daniels also shared some of her own sketches of her characters! These were part of the inspiration for the cover of Seraphina Rising.

Sketch by: S. Daniels
Sketch by: S. Daniels

Comments

  1. I had so much fun answering these questions. Thank you for featuring my work on your blog. What you do for indie authors is absolutely amazing. It was a memorable and humbling experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed doing the interview! Thank you again for joining me today.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts