Interview: Rowe Carenen, The Book Concierge

It's time for the September installment of the Writing Desk Blog Interview Series!

Today's interview is especially exciting for me, because I had the opportunity to connect with someone who plays a key role in the publishing industry: Rowe Carenen, The Book Concierge!

I was first introduced to Rowe through a mutual friend who also works extensively with writers for publicity events. (I won't say who, just yet - I'm hoping to snag an interview with this person as well!).

And now, I'm pleased to present the Writing Desk Blog interview with Rowe Carenen!

(Photo provided by Rowe Carenen)


The Writing Desk: Hi Rowe! Thank you for agreeing to this blog interview with me. First I have to ask, what made you choose your title, The Book Concierge?   

​Rowe Carenen: Actually, it was my father that came up with it! His first novel was coming out and I helped him set up a launch, start a blog, book a tour, etc. and he mentioned it to someone in his writing group and referred to me as his book concierge. She asked for my number and email and it just took off from there.​

**

TWD: If you could sum up the key idea behind your business, what would it be?

RC: I enable writers to write.​

**

TWD: You offer a range of services besides line and content editing. Of those services, what do you recommend most to writers once the editing phase is complete?

​RC: I think the research into what agents and publishers are looking for exactly what they have written. That and help with query letters.​

**

TWD: Was your goal always to help writers, or was this something you discovered on the path to a different career?

RC: When I was little I wanted to a part-time pediatrician and a part-time ballerina.​

As I grew up I wanted to be a professor, but discovered after teaching for several years that education is a calling that was clearly not mine. Then I worked in law and considered law school. Then I worked for one of the world's largest engineering companies.​ It was while I was working there that my father's first novel was accepted by a small publisher that did not have a marketing or PR budget so I said I could help as I've been a lover of books my whole life and I truly believe that his is extraordinary. He told somebody how much I helped him and that person told someone and so on.

**

TWD: Do you work primarily with traditionally published authors, self-published authors, or a mixture of both? If it's both, have you found any major differences in working with both publishing platforms?

RC: I work with both because self-publishing is no longer the domain of vanity publishing. I think that with the self-published client, they get to have more control over their content and their brand. They also often have a fervor behind their project because they are entirely financially invested. That does not mean that authors of traditional presses are not passionate or entirely involved, it is just different. One of the major benefits of a traditional publisher is having a launching pad and platform of support. The publishing world is brutal and having a built in network is always nice.​

**

TWD: Where do you typically work from? (Home, office, coffee shop, etc.) Is there anywhere you find you're more productive than other places?

RC: I work primarily from my office and my home office. I do enjoy a good afternoon or morning at a local tea shop, but I like the routine at home and at the office.​

**

TWD: I know you're also a writer yourself! What genre(s) do you write?

RC: I'm a poet.​

**

TWD: Do you currently have any works published and/or what do you have coming up?

RC: I do! My first book is In the Meantime and came out in 2014 from Neverland Publishing. I'm putting the finishing touches on my next book, Bring Out the Bonebreakers, and I hope to have a home for it in the next year. I'm very excited about the new work and I hope my readers are, too.​

**

TWD: Best piece(s) of writing advice?

RC: Write. Seriously. The hardest thing about writing is actually doing it.​

**

TWD: Something personal about you that people may be surprised to know?

RC: Hmmm. This is a hard one because I'm really an open person. Despite being almost 40 and divorced, I'm an absolute hopeful romantic who still cries when my friends get engaged.​

*****

If you'd like to learn more about the services Rowe offers, get more information about her upcoming book, or read testimonials from authors who have already utilized her assistance, head on over to her website at: (https://www.thebookconcierge.com/).

Please tell me , dear Writing Desk Readers: Are you enjoying our interview series so far? Are there other professionals within the writing/publishing industry you'd like to see featured? Let me know, and I will do my best to make it happen!

Comments

Popular Posts