Home Office/Writing Space Tour!

As anyone who follows me on Instagram knows by now, I recently came down with the 'design bug' and finally decided to remodel my home office/writing space. The previous set-up was perfectly functional, but it was kind of a hodge-podge of different pieces thrown together. Plus, my bookshelves were starting to spill over and needed a definite upgrade.

So, without further ado, I present: The Office Remodel!

The first step, after cleaning everything out of the room (I won't go into how cluttered the guestroom was for a few days), was to put together my new furniture!

Everything in this first picture, the desk, bookcases, curtains, and even the wastebasket, all came from Target!

I'll be posting a detailed budget breakdown at the end of the post, and can I just say how much I love the way these pieces look together?










This was one of the "sneak peeks" I shared on Instagram last week, a DIY cord organizer!

I originally saw the how-to for this one on Vasseur Beauty's Youtube channel, and I knew I had to give it a shot!

In her original video, she uses a decorative box that doesn't need to be wrapped, but I happened to have a shoe box that was the perfect size for this project.

I did end up having to glue the grommets on instead of snapping them together, due to the thickness of the box, but it still turned out exactly how I hoped it would!


This remodel was also the perfect opportunity to go through all of my books and office supplies. I now have a pretty large box of books to donate/take down to our neighborhood Little Free Library, and I was able to consolidate my supplies into one small cabinet that also holds my printer. (There's no picture of that - if you've seen one printer, you've seen them all.)  

I really wanted to have a clean, uncluttered space this time around. Especially now that I split my time for my day job between our office location and home.









Ta da! Behold the completed office remodel!

I realize the lighting looks a little funny. The light bulbs I currently have in there give off kind of a yellow light (that I didn't notice before I brought in the white furniture), I had to tweak the brightness on the photo to get everything to show up.

I still have my art pieces to hang and a few other small touches, but I am so happy with my new space! 







A few more pictures!

Yes, I label my bookshelves.
(I liberated the sign after they re-named my
major department in college, ha!)

Joy is in the journey!

The cord organizer in action!

I'm also thrilled knowing that my old desk will be going to one of my best friend's daughter!

This desk actually has an interesting story. A friend of mine was living in New York City in the 1990s, and found it left out on the street one night. An artist had painted a different scene on each drawer and on the sides. The desk went with her on multiple moves to different states, before ending up with me!

A few years ago I did have to give the top of the desk a little TLC and repaint it.

I hope my friend's daughter enjoys it as much as I have!







Now, for those who are interested, I've provided a breakdown of the overall cost that went into my office remodel. I did have a specific budget in mind, which is one reason why it took me a while to even start this project. I wanted to wait until I could find furniture that I liked that was also affordable.

Budget Breakdown:

- White writing desk - Target - On sale for $75.00 (DIY construction)
- Two white, five-shelf bookcases - Target - On sale for $29.99 each (DIY construction)
- Grey and white curtains - long panels - Target - On sale for $9.99 each (The curtain rod was already mounted in the office. I might change it later.)
- Tiffany blue waste basket - Target - Found in the front bargain section for only $3.00!
- "Joy is in the Journey" throw pillow - Target - $19.99. (I did just find out that this pillow is now on sale on Target.com for $15.99!)
- DIY electronics cord organizer - Made from instructions on Vasseur Beauty's Youtube channel.
- Chair - Already in office, 1970s(ish) era piece from my grandma's house. (Love it!)
- Bonus: I'd already repainted the room two years ago, and the neutral color works with just about anything.

Total cost: $178.00

Yes, pretty much everything new came from Target. If I'm not mistaken, there are a lot of items in different departments on sale right now because they're getting ready to roll out a revamped in-store line. (I don't know if there's been any official announcement about this yet, this is just what I've gathered from talking with people while researching my office decor options. If I do find any official information I'll be sure to post an update!)

So, Writing Desk Readers, where is your ideal working/writing space? Do you have a home office all to yourself? Do you enjoy venturing out to public parks or coffee shops to get your creativity going? If you'd like to share, you can use #sharemywritingspace on Instagram, I'd love to see!

Comments

Popular Posts