Writing on the Go? Not This Time.

Greetings Pals and Gals!

I meant to note this in my last post, but I was out of town all last week for work, hence the lack of blog updates!
Writer on the move!

The trip itself went very well. We got everything done that was needed for work, and enjoyed some amazing food! (See examples below.)

Part of my plan during this trip was to use my downtime at the hotel to get a little writing done. I've set a deadline for myself on my latest outline, and this seemed like the perfect chance to get some work done without having to worry about cooking dinner, or cleaning the house, or taking care of the pups, etc. Completely uninterrupted writing time!

Or so I thought.

I sat down our first night there to read through my outline, and I could not concentrate. Okay, not a problem. I still had three more days where I'd have a few hours every evening to myself at the hotel, I could get something done.

By the end of the week, I'd gotten NOTHING done. I'd re-read the same few pages of my outline five times before I decided to let the work happen on its own. And you know what? I still didn't get any work done last week. But, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

There will be plenty of times when you plan to write, but aren't able to for any number of reasons. This was the first time I'd tried writing while on a business trip, and I just couldn't keep my mind from wandering back to the tasks that were waiting for me each day. I'm sure I could have made myself take some notes, or write a few paragraphs, but would it really have been the quality of work I strive for?

Lovely food! Top: Oysters Rockefeller;
Left: Salad w/duck confit; Right: Sockeye salmon on a grilled grit cake

What about you? Do you have a day job in addition to your writing? If so, are you able to concentrate even when you're bogged down with work? Or, do you need specific time set away from your job to get your best writing done?

Comments

Popular Posts