I AM (not) THE QUEEN OF MULTI-TASKING!

Picture it:

(To borrow from Sophia Petrillo.)

Sunday morning. I woke up ready to tackle my spring cleaning "To Do" list and crank out a word count goal. I multi-task on house chores and work assignments pretty well. Hell, in college I would read a homework assignment and book-it on a treadmill at the same time!

I could get all of that done at the same time, right? Right??

Not exactly.

Yeah...nice try, not how that works.
(Source: https://envisioningtheamericandream.com/2013/03/04/occupation-1960-housewife/)

 Somewhere in between reviewing my latest short story outline, switching out the third load of sheets/blankets from the dryer, and trying not to pass out from the Orange Glow fumes, I realized that multi-tasking while trying to write might not have been the best way to handle everything. 

As much as I would like to think I could handle it, apparently I am not someone who can write or outline and do anything else at the same time. I tried, and I failed, and that's okay. I put the story aside, spent most of the day getting those big spring cleaning tasks done, and decided to finish my outline today when my mind was fresh. (Which I did, by the way! Woo!)

Now that the outline is done, I'm pretty excited about getting this story typed out and submitted to my critique group! The plan is to submit it to a competition that I entered a couple of years ago (deadline is at the end of March, cutting it just a little bit close) and see how I do this time around.

Is there anyone out there capable of writing while getting other tasks done? Clearly, in this case I just need to focus on one thing at a time, my mad multi-tasking skill notwithstanding.

Comments

Popular Posts