What Am I Reading Wednesday (5/25/2016)

As I said on Monday, today's What Am I Reading Wednesday post is going to tie in with this week's featured Writing Resource! (If you missed Monday's post, you can find it HERE.)

Today's book is...

Title: The Vines

Author: 
Christopher Rice

First Reading: Second time around.

Initial Impression: Remind me to steer clear of any suspicious foliage...


Couldn't get a decent picture of my Kindle version,
so thank you goodreads.com!


"The Vines" is the second supernatural thriller published by Christopher Rice, and was a 2014 Bram Stoker Awards finalist for Superior Achievement in a Novel.

I actually scored my Kindle copy through a launch event provided by The Dinner Party Show, the comedy variety podcast hosted by Rice and fellow author, Eric Shaw Quinn. (It's all in the post from Monday!)

I was especially excited to read "The Vines", having just finished Rice's first supernatural thriller (but not his first novel), "The Heavens Rise". I think the first time I read it all the way through in less than two days!

You can find a more detailed bio on Christopher Rice in Monday's post!
Photo credit: http://www.christopherricebooks.com/

Aside from the action, horror, and otherworldly forces that drive the novel, Rice also manages to address a variety of issues, some of which were so subtly woven in that I didn't pick them out until reading through a second time: Class struggles, race, sexuality, betrayal, the still existing repercussions of America's history with slavery, and much more.

That's not to say "The Vines" is a dense or depressing read, far from it. Rice has sprinkled in just enough humor and promise of hope to keep the story dynamic.

As always, we have a NO SPOILERS policy here, so that's all the detail I'll give about the novel itself. I know, I know - There are so many questions left unanswered! What are these mysterious "vines"? What do they want? And what do they have to do with a cheating husband and a plantation house with a bloody history? You'll have to read it for yourselves to find out more!

I will leave you with this: The book was released through 47North, Amazon's fantasy/science fiction/horror imprint. They filmed a promotional video with Rice for the novel, that I think really sums up what the reader can expect:




I had to do it!

Has anyone else read any of Christopher Rice's novels? If so, which was your favorite?


**Disclaimer: The "What Am I Reading Wednesday" posts are my personal opinion and not to be taken as "professional" literary reviews. I just love to share books I've enjoyed!**

Comments

Popular Posts