What Am I Reading Wednesday (5/11/2016)

It's that time again: Time for another What Am I Reading Wednesday!


Title: What You See

Author:
Hank Phillippi Ryan

First Reading: Yes, so excited!

Initial Impression: Jane Ryland is back!


I'm a sucker for an enticing book cover!


"What You See" is the fourth installment in Hank Phillippi Ryan's Jane Ryland series. Set in Boston, the books follow Jane, a once on-the-rise television reporter turned newspaper gal (you'll have to read the first novel in the series, "The Other Woman", to find out why she made a career change!), and her law enforcement counterpoint, Detective Jake Brogan. "What you See" has been nominated this year for both an Agatha and Anthony award.

Hank Phillippi Ryan herself is an Emmy award-winning investigative reporter, she draws on her own experience so the reader is truly immersed in the ins and outs of Jane's work.


Photo courtesy of: www.hankphillippiryan.com

I was lucky enough to meet Hank in person at Bouchercon 2015! She hosted several events during the conference, and many of us received free copies of the first Jane Ryland novel ("The Other Woman"). I was hooked on Jane's story from the beginning, I even got my copy signed!

Gotta love a signed copy!

I've only just started the book today, but so far it's shaping up to be another page-turner! All Jane has to do is get through a family wedding without incident, which of course means that something something is bound to go wrong. (Murphy's law, anyone?) Meanwhile, Jake is dealing with a murder case with, believe it or not, too many witnesses.

 I can't wait to see what happens next! I may not sleep much tonight.

I have to say my only hangup with Jane's character arc, is that she seems to be having trouble deciding how she feels about Jake. Then again, he hasn't exactly been helping her out in that department (no spoilers, I promise!) I'm hoping for some resolution on that in this latest installment in the series.

I've got some reading to do!



**Disclaimer: The "What Am I Reading Wednesday" posts are my personal opinion and not to be taken as "professional" literary reviews. I just love to share books I've enjoyed!**





Comments

Popular Posts