BONUS POST: "The Girl on the Train” Movie Trailer!

Last weekend, as I was innocently perusing my usual online news sources, (both reputable and otherwise), I happened to notice a newly posted article discussing “The Girl on the Train” movie trailer.

I’d read and thoroughly enjoyed Paula Hawkins’ debut novel when it first came out in the U.S. last year. I knew the film rights had been quickly purchased, so naturally I was anticipating the possibility of a movie being made from the book.


Photo courtesy of Goodreads.com


Happily, I clicked PLAY.

First thought: Yes! "The Girl on the Train" movie is actually happening! And it’s coming out this fall? Even better!

Second thought: Why is Emily Blunt the only one with a British accent?

But wait…that means…DAMN IT!

Hollywood has done it again, I immediately thought, they’ve taken a key component to a novel, (In this case, the COUNTRY WHERE EVERYTHING HAPPENS!), and they changed it.

I understand there is often room for interpretation when books are turned into films, but I’m definitely of the camp that believes there are certain things you do not mess with.

This would be one of those things.

Trying to keep an open mind, I then searched for any reference of Paula Hawkins’ reaction to this decision, or perhaps some proof of if she was even consulted about it. What I found did serve to fizzle out my indignation: The setting change was partially Hawkins’ decision.

The full article can be found on TheGuardian.com, here: The Girl on the Train Film

They quote Hawkins as saying: “I’m not really concerned about the re-positioning as I think it is the type of story that could take place in any commuter town.”

This is absolutely true, especially for a novel like this one. And while this knowledge that the author was in on the major decision makes me feel better about it, I know myself well enough to acknowledge that this is also going to make me more initially critical of the film than I might have been otherwise.

My question I put to everyone is this: Does it ruin the movie adaption of a novel to make such a big change to the story’s plot/setting/characters? Or, as with many forms of art, does the artistic license of the filmmakers allow for some deviation from the book’s original makeup?

Watch the trailer for yourselves, and let me know what you think!




Comments

Popular Posts