Taking a Moment to Remember Mary Tyler Moore

Good Evening Friends,

Today's What Am I Reading Wednesday post has been moved to tomorrow. Instead, I wanted to take a moment to acknowledge the passing of the incredible Mary Tyler Moore, who left us today at age 80.

Source: http://secondnexus.com/arts-and-culture/mary-tyler-moore-television-icon-dead-80/


As a kid I was obsessed with the Dick Van Dyke show, then discovered the Mary Tyler Moore Show as a teenager (I'm pretty sure I was the only 16 year-old at my high school who owned all seven seasons on DVD), and that was it. Mary Tyler Moore was my role model.

She was funny, joyful, unafraid to laugh at herself, and took on a role that portrayed her as a "career woman" at a time when women were still finding their way into the business world. When I would pick out an outfit for an interview, or a meeting with new coworkers, one of my first thoughts was always: "What would Mary Richards (Moore's character on her namesake show) wear?"

If you're unfamiliar with Mary Tyler Moore's life and career, you can find some excellent information in this article by The New York Times, one of the many memorials that I'm sure will be written about her this week.

Now, I have to share my favorite scene from the Dick Van Dyke Show, where Laura (Mary) shows off her singing and dancing skills:




And who could forget one of the funniest moments from the Mary Tyler Moore Show? The infamous Ugly Green Dress!



Comments

Popular Posts