A (BELATED) What Am I Reading Wednesday (1/31/2017)

Well, here we are. A What Am I Reading Wednesday on a Thurs...I mean Fri...Maybe I can get it done on Sat...or Sun...er...Well, shit. I guess it's the next Tuesday.

I won't lie, the last week was a little rough, but ultimately I have no excuses. So, let's shake it off and keep moving! 

I had a feeling even with the clue I gave everyone that it would still be pretty difficult to guess today's book, so I won't keep you in suspense any longer.

Today's book is:

Title: Nighttime Is My Time

Author: Mary Higgins Clark

First Reading: Yes - I actually won the book at an author event earlier this month!

Initial Impression: Holy crap, there's an entire hotel full of suspects.

Final Thoughts:  If there was a required game of "Guess the Killer" along with this novel, I would have lost.

(Source: www.goodreads.com)

In classic Mary Higgins Clark fashion, 'Nighttime Is My Time' opens with our protagonist, Jean Sheridan, arriving for her twenty-year class reunion at the prestigious Stonecroft Academy (a fictional stepping-stone school to West Point Academy). In addition to the usual awkward encounters with her former classmates, Jean also has to deal with a series of cryptic messages sent to her by someone who is also at the reunion, and out for revenge on certain classmates.

Normally I like to think I'm pretty good at the "Guess the Killer" game, but this one really threw me for a loop. I think it was a combination of the story itself, with the fact that everyone in the entire hotel hosting the reunion was a suspect. I will say, I wasn't a fan of the initial contact method the killer used to contact Jean. Most likely because the reader doesn't actually see it happen, we hear about it later on as a "memory" after she arrives at the hotel and that made it harder to visualize. Other than that, it was a gripping, beat-the-clock style mystery.  

And now, for the promised story of how I received a signed copy of Mary Higgins Clark's memoirs, also known as, "My Episode of Six Degrees of Separation".

As a middle and high school student, Mary Higgins Clark was one of my favorite authors. I was especially fond of her earlier novels, full of older references that were fascinating to me for some reason. It seemed so exciting to have to race to a payphone to make an important call, instead of having a car phone (yes, my dad had one at the time) or cell phone at your fingertips.

This love for MHC, and my mom's penchant for unique gifts, set in motion an instance of "Six Degrees of Separation" that I never would have expected.

Let's count together:

My mom (1), had a coworker (2) whose son (3) moved to New York to study acting. In the course of his studies and auditions, the son met a publicist (4) who was friends with a book editor (5), and this editor at the time was working with...Mary Higgins Clark (6)!

How wild is that? Whether or not the whole six degrees theory really does apply to everyone, it happened to work out this time, and I received a signed copy of 'Kitchen Privileges' for my sixteenth birthday!

So, what is everyone else reading on this fine Tuesday? Have you ever read any MHC books, or are they not your cup of tea? Let me know!


**Disclaimer: The "What Am I Reading Wednesday" posts are my personal opinion and not to be taken as "professional" literary reviews. I just love to share books I've enjoyed!**

Comments

Popular Posts