Let's Talk About Brainstorming

Let’s talk about brainstorming!

I personally love a good brainstorming session. Whether it’s just me and my CP or editor, or a friend who let’s me bounce ideas off of them, or even talking plot points with a group of other writers. (I’m in desperate need of a writing retreat!)

The thing I try to remind myself of with brainstorming is: There are no “bad” ideas, there are only ideas that might work or not work for whichever project we’re discussing. I will throw out anything that comes to mind just to see what sticks. Or present a scenario with more than one possible outcome and collect feedback. Break out the white board or scene cards and start moving things around.

When I was plotting the rewrite of TKTS my CP and I had a 3 HOUR LONG brainstorming session, going over every scene or chapter I thought could be moved to Book 2 and how that would affect the arc of each character going forward.

I often turn to brainstorming when:
- I’m having trouble deciding how a character should react to a certain situation.
- I’ve found a plot hole and can’t decide exactly how to fix it.
- I’m on a deadline and need a second opinion on a scene.
- It’s time to pick a title and I’m having trouble. (Titles are difficult for me!)



QOTD: Have you ever tried brainstorming as a writing tool? How did it work out for you?



[Image: A narrow, dark wooden bar set in front of a window. Sitting on the bar is an open book, a notebook with a green pen, a phone, and a glass of coffee with a thick layer of foam on top. Outside the weather is foggy and the view from the window is blurred.]

Comments

Popular Posts