What Am I Reading HOLIDAY EDITION! (12/22/2016)

It's time for the first ever "Holiday Edition" of What Am I Reading!

Title: Skipping Christmas

Author: John Grisham

First Reading: Yes

Initial Impression: Not a story I would have expected from John Grisham, based on his novels that I'd read before, but loved it just the same!


Fits right in with the presents under the tree!
I always give books as Christmas gifts, anyone else?

When I think of John Grisham, I usually think of his novels like 'A Time to Kill' or 'The Firm', so it was a pleasant surprise to find out he had also written this comical Christmas tale. Personally, I love it when authors take a step outside of the genre they're more known for and give readers something different.

I won't be going into a detailed biography on Mr. Grisham. I guarantee you've seen his novels, even if you haven't read any of them yet. His books are the kind you can find on any library shelf, or taking up residence on someone's coffee table. As a kid I lost count of the number of copies of 'The Pelican Brief' I found at my parents' friends' houses. (Not that I was allowed to read it at the time, anyway.) However, if you're interested in learning more about Grisham and his recent/upcoming works, you can find plenty of information on his Official Website.

Whether you've read 'Skipping Christmas' or not, you might already know the story. This 2001 short novel was made into a movie starring Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis in 2004, under the title "Christmas with the Kranks".

For those who have neither seen the movie nor read the book, Luther and Nora Krank have decided to "skip" all of the time-consuming rituals of Christmas in order to take a vacation. Their daughter has traveled to another country with the Peace Corps, so what could it hurt? The novel takes the couple through the bewilderment they face from their friends and neighbors over their decision, and the ensuing aftermath when they learn that skipping the holiday might not be an option after all.

It's a witty holiday read, and I recommend it even if you don't observe Christmas. 

And now, my favorite scene from the movie adaption of 'Skipping Christmas'! Because, why not?


The Race for the Hickory Honey Ham!
Also paying a small homage to Jamie Lee Curtis' days as the Queen of Scream.


 

**Disclaimer: The "What Am I Reading Wednesday" posts are my personal opinion and not to be taken as "professional" literary reviews. I just love to share books I've enjoyed!**

Comments

Popular Posts