What Am I Reading Wednesday (11/9/2016)

Well, this was supposed to be a post for last Wednesday, but the amount of work I've had to do (not to mention the craziness with the election) severely impacted my reading time.

As I mentioned in my last post (you can find it HERE, if you're interested), I decided to re-read "The Girl on the Train" in preparation for seeing the movie. I'm still not all the way through, reasons stated above, but with the atmosphere our country is under today (not claiming sides either way here, just pointing out that the last few days have been STRESSFUL), I thought it would be nice to talk about something besides politics for a few minutes.

So, without further ado: 

Title: The Girl on the Train

Author: Paula Hawkins

First Reading: Second!

Initial Impression: This book was a mind-bender of the first degree! Also, made me wish we had a public train system where I live.

Loving the cover!

Like many breakout thrillers (a la "Gone Girl") Hawkins' debut novel has been highly publicized, and incessantly analyzed, so we won't be doing that here. This is more about catching back up on important details I might have forgotten since reading it the first time (No spoilers!), so I can both enjoy the movie and make an accurate comparison to the details in the original book.

I had forgotten just how deeply our protagonist's depression and alcoholism were rooted into her everyday life, even during the events leading up to the "present day" story taking place. I'm especially interested to see how this will be portrayed in the film. There are many nuances/mannerisms that are completely internal, so I'm wondering if they'll have Emily Blunt actually trying to act some of those struggles out, or if they'll opt for an "inner monologue" that the viewer can hear and draw their own conclusions.

Hopefully I'll get to see the movie this weekend, I should be finished re-reading the book by then. If anyone else has seen it already, here's my question: What scene/character/theme/etc. from the novel do you think was best translated onto the big screen, and why?

Comments

Popular Posts