Welcome to the Writing Desk

“Why is a raven like a writing desk?”


Why? Because naming a blog is hard work, that’s why. 

There are many points to consider: Is my blog name catchy enough to draw attention, but not so ridiculous that readers won't just give it a good eye-roll and move on? Will it convey what exactly this new, unknown blog is supposed to be about, even if I’m not really sure yet? And most importantly, DOES IT ALREADY EXIST?

I probably went through ten different names, googling each one to see if it was already taken somewhere else, then banging my head on the desk when I discovered that not only were they taken, but some hadn’t been updated in over a year. Granted, I'm a little late coming into the blog game, so it was good to have several options written down ahead of time.

Finally, I found a name that a) I liked, and b) didn't immediately pop up on another blog upon googling. Presenting: The Writing Desk!

In case you aren't familiar, this line is care of Lewis Carroll: “Why is a raven like a writing desk?”
(A riddle that he apparently had no intention of ever answering.) 

So, here we are. The Writing Desk will (hopefully) feature posts about writing, reading, publishing news (both traditional and indie, whichever I happen to find out about first), and the occasional random factoid. 

Thank you for joining me on this excursion into the writing world! 


Courtesy of FreeImages.com

P.S. – After much indignation from readers, Lewis Carroll did eventually publish an answer to his impossible riddle. *Drum roll* The answer is: "Because it can produce a few notes, tho they are very flat; and it is nevar put with the wrong end in front!"
Does it make sense? Not really, but that’s the point isn’t it?

Comments

Popular Posts