Let's Talk About Pen Names

There's a decision I've been putting off for a long time: What name do I want to writer under? 

What name do I want to see on book covers? On my website? Another thing I've been putting off for years. I felt like I couldn't complete that step until I'd decided on my name.

Don't get me wrong, I love my given name. My first publication, a short story, was printed under my given name. And I've built my modest online platform playing off of my initials (@ccwriter_) so I didn't want to lose that.

I also love the way author names look in the Initials + Last Name format, but my given middle initial didn't flow well. So, I did what I do best: I brainstormed! After several elimination rounds and polling friends/family, I narrowed it down to two names I liked best. Both middle initial options held some significance for me, but one sounded slightly better spoken and the other looked slightly better written down. It came down to which one I liked more in print AND if I were to introduce myself.

After way too much deliberation (seriously), I've decided to publish the Kingsport Chronicles under the name: C.H. Carter!

Choosing what name to write under is as individual as any other aspect of writing. Some writers use different names for different genres, (@jfpennauthor) is a perfect example. Some use a pen name for privacy reasons or because they have a completely different career under their given name. For me, it mostly came down to that visual and format preference. 

In keeping with the declaration I made at the start of the year, that 2023 is going to be magical for me as a writer, I'm feeling good about the way things are developing. I've got my author name decided, which means my deadline to create a website is now 30 April! (Accountability. I've said it, now I have to stick to it.)

...

[Image: A bird's eye view of a blank white book sitting on top of a small, round wooden table. The floor beneath is a reddish, sandy color.]

Comments

Popular Posts