Writing Discussions: Balancing Multiple Projects

It's time for our January discussion topic: Balancing Multiple Projects

I've only recently tried to handle more than one writing project at a time. Before, I was worried I'd get bogged down or lose focus when a Shiny New Idea™ popped up. But, it's actually been a good fit for me. 

One of my favorite descriptions I've heard for balancing multiple projects was during an episode of the Writing Excuses Podcast (15:10), with V.E. Schwab as a guest host. She used the metaphor of a 6-burner stove. The pot on high heat is her current project or idea, the one she's actively working on. While the rest of the pots are still simmering. Maybe they're the beginnings of new ideas or need additional elements before they can go on high heat.

For me, when I realized my last WIP (that I was honestly burnt out on) needed some major changes, I had the flexibility to put it on the "back burner" and focus on TKTS instead. Now, I'm close to finishing the first draft of TKTS, and taking that break from the other idea is going to let me look at it with fresh eyes. Maybe it will be ready for another try, or maybe I'll decide it's not the best use of my time and look at the next idea instead. I like having those options!

All of this isn't to say you have to have many projects "cooking" all at once. If working on your ideas one or two at a time is best for you, that's great!

Join the discussion on Instagram: We haven't even touched on other factors that could affect this process, like deadlines or contractual obligations. What are some pros and cons you've encountered with managing multiple projects? Are there any tips you wish you'd had before you started?

Comments

Popular Posts