December 2020 Repost: Featured Guest Blogs

We have had so many wonderful featured guest blog posts here on the The Writing Desk!

While this is just a small selection, many of these writers are returning guests and you can filter down to all of their featured posts by clicking their names in the 'Labels' section at the bottom of this repost. (Tip: Labels can only be viewed in the Web Version of the blog.)

Click the links below each excerpt to view the full articles. 

***

Revision Is Like a Cat - Lyn Fairchild Hawks

I don’t want you to stress about revision.

I don’t want you to because I already do, and it’s way too much for anyone’s good.

You can come up with all the formulas and processes and formalities you like (and trust me, I’ve got a pile of Lyn’s Rules for Revision, and checklists, and rubrics), BUT you must accept, at the end of the day, that

REVISION IS LIKE A CAT.


Original post date: February 16, 2020

***

How I Read: A History - Samantha Bryant

I've been a reader since before I learned how. When I was a little kid, I memorized my favorite books down to the page turns, so I had my grandmother convinced I could read when I was three.

I couldn't.

I just knew which words went with which pictures.

It's been a while since I memorized a book, but reading is still a huge part of my life. I thought it might be fun to look back over a history of my reading life.



Original post date: September 26, 2018

***

Re-cap of the 2019 Chicago Writers Workshop - Tara Lynne Groth

Last month I not only attended the Chicago Writers Workshop for the first time, but visited Chicago for the first time! If you’re looking for a one-day writer conference in an easy-to-navigate city where you can get one-on-one exposure with literary agents, this is definitely one to add to your list. ...

...CLICK HERE TO SEE FULL POST

Original post date: July 11, 2019

***

5 Ways to Promote Your Book Long After the Launch - Sandra Beckwith

“When should I stop promoting my book?”

Authors ask me this question all the time.

My answer? When it’s no longer available for purchase.

Continue to promote your book long after the book launch. If people can still buy it and the content is still relevant, promote it.

I’m surprised at how many authors don’t do this, though.

When I ask why not, most say they didn’t know they could. In fact, most authors I’ve talked to think that you can only promote a book when it’s first introduced.

Readers don’t care about your publication date

In reality, you can — and you should — promote and market your book as long as it’s available for purchase.

Readers don’t care if your book came out last week, last month, or last year. All they care about is that it’s a good book.

Here are five things you can do to promote your fiction and nonfiction long after the launch has come and gone...

...CLICK HERE TO SEE FULL POST

Original post date: August 1, 2018

***

Comments

Popular Posts