What Am I Reading Wednesday (5/4/2016)

Today's book is one I've actually read several times, so imagine my excitement when I found a first edition in a local used bookshop!


Title: Rising Sun

Author:
 Michael Crichton

First Reading: 4th or 5th...I've lost count.

Initial Impression: The layers of intrigue in this novel are insane!




First edition? Oh yeah!


When I was in college, there was a bubble tea shop just a few blocks down from the main campus. Nearly every Friday, after our last class of the day, a friend of mine and I would walk down to the shop for bubble tea. (My favorite was the almond taro!)

The owner had a mini-lending library in one corner of the shop, so once in a while we'd grab a book to read and bring it back the next week. When the owner found out I was planning on studying abroad in Japan, he pulled a well-worn copy of "Rising Sun" off the shelf and suggested I read it before my trip.

As it turned out, while "Rising Sun" deals heavily with the intersection of Japanese and American culture and the tension that was present concerning Japanese-American business relations in the late '80s-early '90s, the book itself wasn't much help in preparing me to be a college student in Japan. That was alright though, because I ended up loving the novel itself.

Besides, it's written by Michael Crichton, which automatically made me excited to read it!

For those of us who still remember the days of floppy disks, car phones with cords, and waiting for the internet to dial up, this book will feel like a blast from the past! If those technologies were a little before your time, consider it a history lesson.

"Rising Sun" is definitely still one of my go-to books when I'm searching for something to read and can't quite make up my mind.

Now, if only I could stop by that bubble tea shop!


Craving taro bubble tea!



**Disclaimer: The "What Am I Reading Wednesday" posts are my personal opinion and not to be taken as "professional" literary reviews. I just love to share books I've enjoyed!**

Comments

Popular Posts