Thank you, Tamora Pierce.

I'm back from my week-long digital detox, dear Writing Desk Readers!

What better way to celebrate than with the timely arrival of the latest novel from the amazing Tamora Pierce, Tempests & Slaughter!

It's so beautiful!

My friends on Instagram will have already seen my hyper-excited post when it arrived last night. I actually pre-ordered this novel last year, and have been gushing about it ever since.

Tempests & Slaughter focuses on the early life of one of Pierce's most iconic characters, the mage Numair Salmalin.  I can vividly remember picking up my first Tamora Pierce novel, Wild Magic, as I was just entering middle school. I became instantly fascinated by Numair's character and how he interacted with the world around him. Now, over a decade later, I finally get to learn what made Numair into the man he was by the time his narrative in Wild Magic, and many other novels, came around.



The pre-order copy of Tempests & Slaughter also happens to be a special edition version, with a free poster included with the book! I don’t care what anyone says, this is getting framed and it’s going next to the letter I received from Ms. Pierce all those years ago. That's right, in middle school I managed to find Tamora Pierce's email address, wrote her a fan letter, and was beyond thrilled when I received a sincere reply.

Tamora Pierce was the author whose work and words encouraged me to hold onto my dreams of becoming a professional writer. This was at a time when I'd let myself become discouraged by negative people who didn't actually care about what I wanted for myself.  Anyone with a passion for their future knows they'll encounter those naysayers at some point, and the best reaction is to prove them wrong. 





So, what I want to say again, is thank you, Ms. Pierce.

Thank you for writing your amazing books filled with strong characters, and even stronger heroines.

Thank you for reaching out to a young fan who wanted to be like you more than anything in the world.

And thank you for taking the time to share Numair's story. I know it was worth the wait.    
   

Comments

Popular Posts