Featured Post: When Your Agent Leaves the Business, What Do You Do? - Lyn Fairchild Hawks


Don’t Despair


When your agent leaves the business, what do you do?

In June I wrote my friend and YA author Gordon Jack when I was in the bluest, most Anne Shirley depths of despair. “My agent is leaving the business,” I said, feeling as if I were delivering the worst and most shameful of news. Maybe it was because Gordon and I had slogged together in the querying mines many moons ago, and after many rejections, he now not only has an agent but also a two-book deal from HarperCollins. (Check out The Boomerang Effect in its awesomeness and satirical humor about high school homecomings and pre-order Your Own Worst Enemy if you need a good laugh about high school elections. Trust me: you’ll want it before midterms.)

Me, I once worked with a first agent, and then worked with a second agent who was amazing, and together we had two different books on sub to editors in the last two years.

Now, the day of my writing Gordon, I had none of these things.

I expected support and empathy from him, which I definitely got, and then he said:

“You know I’m on my third agent, right?”...


...CLICK HERE TO SEE FULL POST




Original post date: August 30, 2018

Comments

Popular Posts